This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet blueberries with savory oogey-gooey cheese makes for an absolutely delicious sandwich! Ready in just minutes, you have to try this Blueberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich! While this post is sponsored by Noble and their incredible New Crop Blueberries, all opinions and my love of Florida blueberries are my own.
Best Blueberry Grilled Cheese + 12 Berrylicious Ways To Enjoy Blueberries
When fresh blueberries are in season, people add them to cereal and yogurt, we make lots of baked goods, and we enjoy snacking on them as is, but the options for using blueberries do not have to end with toppings, pies and muffins. Blueberries are very versatile, and they are great for more than just simple desserts and snacking. Blueberries can transform ordinary drinks, meals, appetizers, sandwiches and snacks into something colorful and extraordinarily tasty.
Blueberries have long been known as a superfood and the King Of Antioxidants. They are high in fiber and low in fat, cholesterol, and sodium. They are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and manganese. Blueberries have a strong antioxidant capability, which means they produce nutrients that destroy free radicals. Free radical damage can contribute to a host of diseases, including cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Do you know where the first U.S. in-season blueberries come from?
FLORIDA, of course!
You all know how much I love and appreciate our Florida farmers, so you gotta know how excited I am to tell you that FLORIDA blueberries are in season from February to the end of April. So, when you head to the store, grab your FLORIDA blueberries.
Personally, I have 3 packages of Noble New Crop Blueberries in my refrigerator all Florida Blueberry Season long.
Noble New Crop Blueberries are locally sourced, hand-picked, and never genetically modified. They arrive in stores just a few days after being picked. That means they go from farm to you in just a few days. I grabbed mine at Publix, but you will also find them at Meijer and Sprouts.
Noble Fresh Blueberries are grown locally in Florida to ensure quality and freshness. I tend to avoid blueberries from other countries…for a few reasons.
- I believe in supporting our local farmers.
- I want to give my family fresh blueberries, ones that didn’t travel days/weeks to get to my grocery store.
- Florida blueberries just taste better 😉
All Noble Fresh Blueberries are pre-cooled upon receiving into Noble, and never endure long ship crossings, ensuring the best possible shelf life and freshness.
Just a little tip, if you like shopping at Farmer’s Markets (I do too!), ask where the produce came from. There have been several times I went to buy blueberries in a cute little open-air container thinking that they were picked that morning and they had actually come from Chile via the local grocery store.
Now, obviously, I will be sharing my simply delicious Blueberry Grilled Cheese recipe will you all in a few, but before I do, I wanted to point out 12 other ways to enjoy blueberries.
Tasty Ways to Enjoy Blueberries
- Eat em as a snack. When healthy and delicious options are made easy, you will chose them. Forget the chips and candy! Instead, leave a bowl of fresh blueberries on your kitchen counter to snack on between meals.
- Use as a topping. This is another easy option that involves nothing but washing these delicious berries. Top the berries on cereal, yogurt, waffles, french toast, low-fat pudding, or ice cream. To increase the nutritional impact, sprinkle some on ground flax-seed.
- Drizzle with dark chocolate.
- Make a Frozen Blueberry Yogurt Pie.
- Use as a salad topping. I love making an arugula salad topped with sliced almonds, grated pecorino romano, and blueberries. Drizzle with a little olive oil. and/or balsamic vinegar. Finish your salad off with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. You can also make your own blueberry vinaigrette.
- Make a blueberry parfait. Select a parfait glass. Alternate layers of low-fat Greek vanilla yogurt, granola, and fresh blueberries.
- Make a blueberry smoothie.
- Create a blueberry dessert topping. Mix fresh blueberries with chopped mint and sugar. Use as a dessert topping for ice cream or on top of a low calorie angel food cake.
- Create a sauce for meat or fish. Blueberries are sweet, but they don’t have to be for dessert. We love this Blueberry BBQ sauce.
- Add to your favorite healthy pancake batter.
- Make a blueberry pizza.
- Celebrate Martini Monday with a Blueberry Lemon Drop Martini.
Ok, everyone sufficiently hungry? I know I am…and thirsty….martinis can be enjoyed on days other than Monday, right?? Well, go make that martini and sip on it while we make my super simple Blueberry Grilled Cheese.
Blueberry Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices bakery bread
- 2 slices thick cut sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup fresh blueberries I used Noble New Crop Blueberries
- 1 tbsp butter
- Place butter in the cast iron pan and warm it over medium heat.
- Once the butter starts to melt, rub the bread slices in the pan. This way the bread gets buttered. Be sure to do both sides.
- "Toast" one side of the bread, then flip it.
- Place a half slice of cheese on each slice of bread.
- Scoop on 1/4 cup of blueberries (gently mash if needed) onto two slices of bread.
- Top with the other slice of bread to form your sandwich.
- Allow cheese to melt, but be careful to not burn your bread. Turn down heat if necessary.
- Carefully remove blueberry grilled cheese from pan.