This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
Prepped in just a few minutes, these loaded BBQ Chicken Fries are the ultimate easy appetizer or fun weeknight meal idea.
Loaded BBQ Chicken Jalapeno Fries
There is nothing quite like a plate of loaded fries, am I right? And, when you load them with protein, veggies, and cheese, that’s a quick dinner on a busy night.
That’s how these Loaded BBQ Chicken Jalapeno Fries came to be. With the kiddos back in school, and doing extracurricular activities, I’m always on the hunt for easy meals that can come together fast.
With the help of a rotisserie chicken and a few extra ingredients, this yummy meal comes together in less than 30 minutes!
What are loaded French fries?
Typically, they are fries topped with cheese, bacon, and ranch dressing or sour cream. But, they can honestly be topped with anything.
All you need for loaded fries is:
- French fries that you either make from scratch or that you heat and eat (such as Ore-Ida fries)
- Meat – could be shredded chicken, beef brisket, ground beef, bacon bits, or shredded pork. I’ve also seen people use chili on top of their loaded fries!
- Cheese – most places use shredded cheddar, but I’ve seen loaded fries with pepper jack, nacho cheese sauce, and even mozzarella with marinara sauce for a fun Italian take
- Veggies – okay, this is technically optional, but you gotta get your veggies in somewhere, right? I’ve seen chopped green onion, sliced jalapenos, salsa, fried onions, and diced tomatoes
What is the traditional way to make loaded French fries?
If you’re making your French fries, bake or fry them first! Then, on a sheet pan lined with foil and greased with non-stick spray, layer with fries, then meat, next cheese, and finally veggies. Bake until at about 425°just until the cheese is bubbling or until everything is warmed through. Should only take between five and ten minutes.
Some people prefer to put their veggies on after cooking so they maintain their crispness. That’s a matter of what you like though. It’s your loaded fries, do what you like!
Are loaded fries like Canadian poutine?
Yes and no. Like Poutine, loaded fries start with potatoes as a base and are loaded with delicious flavors. What sets authentic Canadian poutine apart from its Americanized counterpart though is that the dish is made with gravy and cheese curds as the toppings.
A few years ago at a food and wine conference I attended, they had a poutine bar sponsored by a potato company. Interestingly enough, they had all the toppings you would expect for American loaded fries, but I don’t recall gravy or cheese curds!
Still, the loaded fry bar was a hit, and could be a fun idea for a party if you’re stumped for food ideas! Add various toppings and a big bowl of French fries for people to load up, and voila! You have the makings of a unique buffet that is sure to be a real crowd-pleaser.
How do you make loaded BBQ chicken jalapeno fries?
After posting about these on Instagram, I just knew I needed to share them here on the blog too.
The big secret to my loaded fries is the cheese. Rather than adding heaps of shredded cheddar, I opted to make a cheese sauce that is easier to make than you might think.
To make the cheese sauce you will need milk, cheddar cheese, butter, flour, and a little bit of hot sauce. You begin by making a roux, which is a really fancy way of saying whisk melted butter and flour in a pan until it becomes like a thick paste. Then, add your milk and shredded cheese. Finally, splash in a dash of hot sauce to finish the sauce.
You can bake the fries, and have your kiddos pull the meat off the rotisserie chicken while you’re making the sauce.
Then, once all of your ingredients are ready, it’s time to assemble.
On top of the fries, layer the chicken, drizzle the BBQ sauce, pour on the cheese sauce, and top with jalapenos and green onion. Serve and enjoy immediately. If you like an extra kick of heat, add a little more hot sauce too.
What are some other dishes I can make with rotisserie chicken?
I love picking up rotisserie chickens to make a lot of meals including:
- Tomato Basil Chicken Crescent Rolls
- Spicy Mustard Chicken Salad with Grapes
- The Easiest Chicken Enchiladas
- Zero Point Weight Watchers Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy Italian Roasted Chicken Sandwich
- Berry Delicious Avocado Chicken Salad
And so many others!
What is your favorite dish to make with rotisserie chicken? Tweet me at @foodwinesun, and tell me about it!
Can I use the cheese sauce for other dishes?
Absolutely! This cheese sauce can be used for nachos, or even to help encourage your kiddos to eat broccoli. I also used it to make my Taco Ramen.
Now, here is my Loaded BBQ Chicken French Fries recipe. Be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make them again and again! I know I do 🙂
Loaded BBQ Chicken Jalapeno Fries Recipe
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp Quibos Original Hot Pepper Sauce
- 2 pounds French fries I used a 32 oz bag of heat and eat fries
- ½ cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 pound shredded chicken I used a rotisserie chicken
- 1 jalapeno sliced and de-seeded
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- Bake frozen french fries according to package
- While french fries are baking, make the cheese sauce
- Melt the butter in a small pan
- Add the flour, whisk until mixed well
- Slowly add in the milk
- Add in the cheddar cheese
- Whisk until thickened and looking amazing
- Add 1 tsp of Quibos Original Hot Pepper Sauce
- Stir well
- Once fries are done, layer the chicken, then BBQ sauce, then cheese sauce, then more Quibos Original Hot Pepper Sauce, then the jalapenos and green onion. OH MY!