This Easy Italian Roasted Chicken Sandwich is a delicious lunch option for back to school and beyond! Ready in less than 10 minutes and loaded with flavor, this sandwich is sure to please the whole family. While this post is sponsored by Produce For Kids, all opinions and the recipe are my own.
Easy Italian Roasted Chicken Sandwich
It’s Back To School time here in Florida, and I am not ready! We just got the kids school supplies, backpacks and lunchboxes YESTERDAY! Speaking of lunches, who is ready to make those again? Sometimes the idea of making a creative, yet somewhat healthy lunch for the kids every day can be draining. I mean, there are only so many times I think they want the same sandwich over and over. And, honestly when it’s 5 minutes before they walk out the door for school and I realized I haven’t made them any kind of lunch yet, their lunches aren’t all that exciting.
So, I decided this school year was going to be different. Well, at least for a few weeks while I still have this positive mindset 😉 And with this deliciously EASY Italian Roasted Chicken Sandwich I created, I don’t see why I can’t keep that positivity going for even longer!
The rich flavors of this sandwich all come from fresh produce: tomatoes, onion, sweet peppers and some fresh basil from my garden. I mixed all that fresh deliciousness together with some oil and red wine vinegar to make a “bruschetta spread”, I put that on both sides of a fresh french baguette and then added some rotisserie chicken and ham. How does that sound? YUM. And the best part is, the sandwich is even better when you make it the night before. All those flavors from the vegetable spread marinate into the bread and chicken leaving you (or your kids!) and incredible tasting Italian Roasted Chicken Sandwich.
Now, here is how to make my Easy Italian Roasted Chicken Sandwich. Be sure to print it and pin it so that you can make it all school year long. The kids will definitely be asking for it again and again.
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ cup Shuman Farms Vidalia Sweet Onions
- 2 Pero Family Farms mini sweet pepper - diced small
- ½ cup NatureFresh Farms Greenhouse Tomatoes - chopped
- ½ French baguette
- 3 slices ham
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken - meat removed and shredded or cut into bite size pieces you can use more if you would like
- Combine onion, sweet pepper, tomato, olive oil and red wine vinegar in a small bowl and stir
- Slice bread horizontally
- Spread onion mixture over both sides of bread
- Top with chicken and ham
- Close the sandwich, wrap with saran wrap, place it in the fridge and place something heavy (a pan, soup can etc.) on it so that it is "pressed" in the morning. You can skip this step if you would like, but making it ahead of time gives all the flavor a chance to soak in!
I hope you and your kids enjoy this Easy Italian Roasted Chicken Sandwich all school year long…and beyond.
I mentioned about that I used deliciously fresh produce to make the bruschetta spread for my Italian Chicken Sandwich, so when you head to the grocery store to pick them up, be sure to keep a look out for these amazing Produce For Kids sponsors:
- Bee Sweet Citrus – Mandarins
- Crispy Green®- Crispy Fruit
- Litehouse® – Ranch & Blue Cheese cups and Family Sized Ranch Dressing
- GROW Bananas
- NatureFreshTM Farms – Greenhouse Tomatoes
- Pero Family Farms® – Snipped Green Beans, Mini Sweet Peppers, Veggie Spirals
- Shuman Farms – Vidalia Sweet Onions
- WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE (all caps) – Minis & Snack Cups (with chips)
- Zespri® – SunGoldTM Kiwifruit
Produce For kids and these awesome sponsors are working together to not only give all of us healthy and FUN back to school lunch ideas, but they have also committed to providing 180,000* meals to Feeding America’s programs that impact families and children.
Power Your Lunchbox by Produce for Kids, taking place Aug. 5 to Sept. 22, is asking families to show the world how they power their lunchboxes using the hashtag #PowerYourLunchbox. The program, in its sixth year, encourages families to eat more nutritious lunches and make healthy choices as they head back to school. So, be sure to show off your lunch skills!
Got questions? Produce for Kids will host the #PowerYourLunchbox Twitter party on Aug. 15 at 4 p.m. ET encouraging questions and comments from families, and will be releasing a series of back-to-school podcasts episodes on the new Produce for Kids podcast, Healthy Family Project. The Twitter party and podcasts will focus on everything back-to-school from fueling kids’ minds with healthy lunchbox ideas to organization and meal prep.
Be sure to check out ProduceForKids.com for more than 250 registered dietitian-approved and family-tested recipes, meal planning tools, grocery store specific campaign details, and healthy tips from real parents and on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for even more!