This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for something to do as a family that doesn’t involved the TV or any technology? Get together and plan a FUN Family Reading Night!
Plan a Family Reading Night
We have been out of school for less than a week and my kids don’t have any camps this week. Can you guess how many times I have heard “What are we going to do NOW, mom?” At least 10 xs a day. The other night my daughter surprised me with a fabulous idea! She planned a family reading party.
She used paper and made each of us a 3 page “book” with cute drawings and wrote in Knock-Knock jokes, then she made a sign in sheet and hung it on her door, and when we entered the “party” we all sat down together and took turns reading pages of a story. It was the PERFECT end to our day 🙂
So, why not turn your night into reading fun?
Here are a few tips for making your Book Night more FUN:
- Want some new books? Grab your family and head to your local library. Have everyone pick out 2-3 (or more if you want!) books for your Book Night.
- Have everyone in the same room while reading, sit on the bed together or on a blanket
- Make it a Family Reading Picnic! Check out this Picnic Essentials Checklist to help you get started.
- Make special snacks
- Take turn reading pages/chapters to each other
- Make shadow puppets on the walls to tell parts of your story
- Get Glow-In-The-Dark stars and put them on the ceiling to pretend you are reading under the stars…For my up-north readers you can probably do yours outside!…It’s just too hot here in FL for us to do that right now 😉
Do your kid have a summer reading program? If so, this will help them reach their goals!
What other ideas do you have to make your Family Reading Night special?
If you are looking for an dinner idea to throw in the crockpot while you are planning for your reading night, here is one that we all love. Bacon Wrapped Apple BBQ Chicken! YUM!
Looking for another FUN idea to do this summer? Plan a Glow Party!
Be sure to check out Food Wine Sunshine on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google + and Instagram for more tips, recipes, family fun and more.
1 thought on “Plan a Family Reading Night”
We usually pop popcorn, and have sodas. Some of our favorite volumes to read have been the various titles from the ‘Harry Potter’ series, and for older family members, the ‘Twilight’ saga.