This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipe – Lower Fat But All The Deliciousness
Chocolate Coffee Cake. So that means we get to have chocolate for breakfast. AND I made us a lower-fat version, so we don’t have to feel guilty either 😉 One of my most popular, most pinned recipes, is my Low Fat Pumpkin Coffee Cake, and what made that recipe special is the topping is actually Honey Bunches of Oats!
That being said, can you guess what the secret ingredient to my Chocolate Coffee Cake is? I’m sure you are thinking that Honey Bunches of Oats is involved in some way, but did you think it was Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate? Did you know that Honey Bunches of Oats had a Chocolate variety? Well, it’s the newest variety to hit the shelves and it is not only amazing in a bowl with milk, but it is the perfect lower-fat ingredient in my Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipe, no chocolate chips needed! Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate delivers the perfect combination of crispy flakes, crunchy bunches and the yumminess of real cocoa.
I used Coconut Palm Sugar in my recipe, that is why my batter is a light brown in color, if you substitute white sugar, yours won’t be as brown.
This Chocolate Coffee Cake bakes up so moist and delicious – you will not only want it for breakfast…but for dessert too 🙂
Now, here is my Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipe, be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Coconut Palm Sugar or white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup Honey Bunches or Oats Chocolate
- For the Topping
- 1/4 cup Honey Bunches or Oats Chocolate – crushed
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Palm Sugar or white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray
- Combine baking powder, flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside
- Beat softened butter and cream cheese with a mixer, until well-blended
- Slowly pour in the 1 cup sugar and vanilla extract until mixture is fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the mixture before adding the next
- Pour in about half of the flour mixture, allow it to blend some
- Pour in the milk, allow it to blend some
- Pour in the remaining half of the flour mixture, mixing until well blended
- Stop the mixer
- Gently stir in Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate, until it’s evenly combined
- Pour the batter into prepared pan
- Mix 1/4 cup crushed cereal and sugar and sprinkle it over the top of your coffee cake batter
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and the center comes out clean
- Cool for 10 minutes
I hope you enjoy this Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipe as much as we do!
While this post is sponsored by the folks at Honey Bunches of Oats, all chocolaty-delicious opinions and this recipe are my own.
Looking for more recipes that use delicious Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate? Check out these:
Want to grab that Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe too? Of course, you do 🙂
Looking for more Breakfast ideas?