Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe – Low-Fat & Fabulous!
Tis the season for pumpkin….I was trying to think of a fun way to enjoy pumpkin this Fall and I decided to try my hand at Coffee Cake. And to be honest, I have never made any kind of cake from complete scratch, so I am here to tell you, if I can do this Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe, you can too! You all know that I always making us yummy food that has less fat and calories in it, so you will notice that with this one too. But it is definitely full of flavor 🙂
First, I started with a simple topping – that took me less than 5 minutes to mix together. No butter and I used cereal for that crunchy goodness 🙂
The batter was just a matter of mixing everything together! I did use my mixer, but you can definitely do it by hand if prefer to mix it that way.
Now, here’s the recipe:
- Topping Ingredients
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons low-fat or skim milk (more if extra moisture is needed)
- 2 tablespoons crunchy nugget cereal – I used Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds
- Coffeecake Ingredients
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned 100% pumpkin puree
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, cereal and milk with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda in a small mixing bowl
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, pumpkin, buttermilk, brown sugar, sugar, canola oil and vanilla mix until well blended
- Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined
- Add the batter into a 9×9 pan or a round cake pan that is sprayed with cooking spray
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the cake
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center
I hope you and your family enjoy this Low Fat Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe as much as we did!
We had ours for breakfast – it is absolutely amazing with a nice cup of coffee, but it would also make for a perfect Fall dessert.
Love Pumpkin? Check out this Banana Pumpkin Pancake Recipe!
Looking for more delicious pumpkin recipes?