Pumpkin is a naturally low-fat and high in fiber food, add in some cheese, hot peppers and low-calorie bread and you have this deliciously, savory, yet healthy Pumpkin Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe.
Grilled Cheese and Pumpkin Sandwich
I have another great Pumpkin recipe for you guys today! My mom called me a few days ago and said that I should try making a Pumpkin Grilled Cheese Sandwich. The idea did indeed sound weird at first, but it is low-cal and I thought it would be worth a try to get creative with 🙂
I added sweet peppers for a bit of crunch and cayenne pepper for a bit of heat. Now, I have told several friends about this recipe and they had all said that it sounds a bit “weird,” but I definitely recommend it! I was surprised how well all the flavors blended.
Once the peppers and onions are sauteed, you simply mix them in with the pumpkin and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and you will have your sandwich ready in just a few minutes.
Then you simply spread the pumpkin mixture evenly on your low-fat bread (I used Arnold Thins) and add a slice of low-fat cheese.
Once you add on the slice of cheese, warm the bread on the stove like you normally would a grilled cheese. I did NOT butter the bread at all, the little bit of oil that was still in the pan worked fine. Make sure you are using a pan that is big enough to fit the 2 slices of bread. I used the Farberware Dishwasher-safe 10-inch skillet with Teflon® nonstick coating.
Once the bread is “toasted” and the cheese is melted, it’s time to enjoy your sandwich!
Now, here’s my Grilled Cheese & Pumpkin Recipe, be sure to print it and pin it so that you can make it again and again.
Grilled Cheese & Pumpkin Sandwich
- Stove or Griddle
- 1 tsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp diced onions
- 2 tbsp sweet bell peppers
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 wedge of Queso Laughing Cow Cheese
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 slice reduced fat or fat free cheese I used colby jack
- 2 slices low-fat bread
- Warm EVOO in a medium pan
- Saute peppers and onion
- While veggies are cooking, mix pumpkin and Laughing Cow Cheese in a small bowl
- Add the peppers and onions to the pumpkin mixture
- Evenly spread the pumpkin mixture on both sides of the bread
- Add the bread to the warm pan
- Add one slice of cheese to one side of the bread
- Make the sandwich and toast each side of the bread
- Serve once the bread is warm and the cheese is melted
I hope you guys enough this healthy and filling Pumpkin Grilled Cheese sandwich! Make sure to let me know if you try it…I promise, it’s worth a try 🙂
Looking for more family-friendly delicious recipes? Make sure to check out all the recipes here on Food Wine Sunshine !
Looking for more delicious pumpkin recipes?