Grilled Cheese and Veggie Sandwich
I needed a dinner for the kids quick the other day and they wanted soup…I decided the perfect accompaniment would be grilled cheese. And as I was making their grilled cheese, it looked good! I rarely make grilled cheese for myself, so I decided to make a dressed-up version for my husband and I that night too. I have some beautiful veggies in the refrigerator, so I grabbed some of my favorites and decided to get creative 🙂
I used zucchini, squash, diced tomatoes, and mini sweet peppers. I figured the veggies could use a bit of extra flavor, so I seasoned them with Dust by VooDoo Chef Seasoning. You can use which ever seasoning you may have at home, or none at all!
I had the bread “grilling” in a separate pan and once the bread looked good, I added on the cheese. I had a chunk of Colby Jack at home, which so happens to be my favorite cheese, so I sliced it nice and thin and added it on. Once it started to melt, I topped it with my delicious smelling vegetables.
Doesn’t that look yum? I think I may have to make another one for lunch today!
Now, here is my Grilled Cheese and Veggie Sandwich Recipe, be sure to Print it and Pin it so that you can make it again and again.
- 2 slices of bread – I used Honey Wheat
- 1 slice of your favorite cheese – I used Colby Jack
- Sliced zucchini and squash
- Sliced mini sweet peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- VooDoo Chef Dust Seasoning
- 2-3 tablespoons of Marinara Sauce
- In one pan put a dab a butter and let it melt
- Add two slices of bread to the pan, watch to make sure it doesn’t burn, flip as needed
- In another pan, put a dab of butter and let it melt
- Add in your veggies and seasonings
- Cook veggies until soft
- Add cheese to one slice of bread
- Top the cheese with your veggies
- Close up your sandwich
- Serve with the marinara sauce for dipping
You will notice that in the recipe I mention to serve with marinara sauce for dipping, I learned about doing that from a local Food Truck! They serve all their grilled cheese sandwiches with a dipping sauce and it is GREAT. I definitely recommend adding the sauce for dipping. I used what I had in my pantry, it was the Garlic and Herb Hunt’s Sauce that came in a can, it doesn’t have to be fancy! But it is oh so good. Trust me.
I hope you enjoy this Grilled Cheese and Veggie Sandwich as much as we do!
Looking for another fun twist on Grilled Cheese? Check out my Pumpkin Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe.