This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
This Grilled Cheese and Jelly Sandwich is a deliciously creative, yet easy, twist to the traditional grilled cheese. Make these jelly and cheese sandwich as an appetizer or a meal!
Grilled Cheese and Jelly Sandwich
Yes, you read that right. Grilled Cheese and Jelly. Grilled Cheese, while absolutely delicious all on it’s own, is a classic that you can easily add flavors to to take it to a whole new level. A sweet delicious jelly or jam can make your grilled cheese say WOW.
A few months ago, I had a milestone birthday and my husband hosted a Wine Pairing Birthday Party for me and all our friends. He picked the wines and made various small plates and one of them were these Grilled Cheese and Jelly Sandwiches. Everyone was amazed on how good they were, and that he added jelly to a grilled cheese!
So, I decided I would share this simple deliciousness with you all as well, if you are looking for a finger food that is easy to make, and bound to impress, try these Grilled Cheese and Black Raspberry Jelly Sandwiches. Or, if you are just looking for a meal that will leave your tummy satisfied and happy, try this Grilled Cheese and Black Raspberry Jelly Sandwich.
Of course, you can substitute other jams or jellies, feel free to experiment and have some fun with them. I used a Sharp Cheddar Cheese from Cabot. I love Cabot Cheese and if you are adding something sweet to your sandwich, I think you need a cheese with an extra punch, and Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar is it. Again, feel free to experiment and play around with your favorite cheeses too.
Can I Use Homemade Jelly?
Yes! Making homemade jelly or jam is a labor of love in my opinion, but if you have it – use it! Just like I recommend experimenting with different cheeses, try different jellies too!
Tips for Making a Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A grilled cheese sandwich is a classic comfort food that is easy to make at home. Here are some tips for making a perfect grilled cheese:
1. Choose the right bread. A good grilled cheese needs sturdy bread that will hold up to being grilled. Look for a bread that has a tight crumb and is not too soft.
2. Use fresh, high-quality cheese. The better the quality of the cheese, the better your grilled cheese will be. Look for a sharp cheddar or other flavorful cheese.
3. Don’t overdo it on the butter. You don’t need a ton of butter to make a great grilled cheese – just enough to coat the bread lightly. Too much butter will make your sandwich greasy and difficult to eat.
4. Get the grill/pan hot before you start cooking.
Use a Cast Iron Pan Grilled Cheese and Jelly Sandwich
I made my sandwich in my Lodge Cast Iron pan, I bought my first one a few months ago and didn’t season it until just a few days ago! The cast iron pan gets hot and cooks evenly. “Everyone from Martha Stewart to Campfire Cook Johnny Nix considers Lodge Foundry Seasoned Cast Iron Skillets essential cooking tools. They are perfect for any cooking method from stovetop to oven.” And I agree with ya, Lodge Cast Iron!
Now, here is my Grilled Cheese and Jelly Sandwich recipe, be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
Grilled Cheese and Jelly Sandwich
- Sliced bread of choice – I used French Bread
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Black Raspberry Jelly/Jam
- Butter one side of the sliced bread
- Place the bread, butter side down in a hot cast iron skillet
- Place 3 – 4 slices of the cheese onto the bread
- Add a spoonful of the jelly/jam onto the cheese
- Put the empty piece of bread on top of the bread slice with the cheese and jelly
- Flip if necessary
- Once heated throughout, and cheese is ooey-gooey, remove from pan
I hope you enjoy this Grilled Cheese and Jelly Sandwich as much as we do!
We paired these delightful little grilled cheese goddesses with a Chardonnay at my Wine Pairing Party…just in case you need an excuse to open a nice bottle of CK Mondavi, Charles Krug, or Copain wine 😉