This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
This Easy Pesto Alfredo Pasta is ready in under 20 minutes making it an easy dinner meal. Use homemade pesto or store-bought and make the Alfredo sauce from scratch, it’s easy, I promise!
Easy Pesto Alfredo Pasta
What isn’t to love about pesto and Alfredo sauce? I mean, both are pretty darn incredible on their own, so blending them together has to be magical, right? Right.
Pesto is the perfect blend of fresh basil, lots of garlic, olive oil, pine nuts (I prefer using toasted pine nuts), and Parmesan or Romano Cheese.
The Alfredo sauce I used in this recipe is actually a skinnier version that most Alfredo sauce recipes you will find, I try to avoid using heavy cream when I can…I’ll take the extra calories in a glass of wine instead 😉 For my skinny(ish) Alfredo sauce I used milk, flour, salt, butter, garlic, reduced fat cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
Both the pesto and Alfredo sauce are made with garlic and Parmesan cheese, which just confirms that blending these two sauces together is a match made in heaven.
You can top your Pesto Alfredo Pasta with chicken, shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts or cherry tomatoes and a little extra Parmesan cheese like I did. You can also eat it as is, because no matter which way you decide to serve it, your whole family is going to love it.
Now, here is my Pesto Alfredo Pasta recipe, be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
Homemade Pesto Alfredo Pasta
- 1 cup homemade pesto store bought would work fine as well
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk I used 2%
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4 tbsp reduced fat cream cheese 2 oz
- Melt the butter in a skillet or large sauce pan over medium heat
- Add the garlic and saute until the garlic is slightly soft, about 1 minute
- Add in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon for approximately 1 minute
- Stir/whisk in the milk and salt
- Stir constantly until slightly thickened - approximately 2-3 minutes
- Add the cream cheese and Parmesan cheese; stir until well blended and cheese is melted - approximately 2-3 minutes
- Stir in one cup of pesto
- Turn heat down to low or a simmer and allow sauce to warm thoroughly
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain
- Add pasta to the pesto alfredo sauce, or simply serve the sauce on top of the cooked pasta
- Stir gently so that all the noodles are coated
- Top with toasted pine nuts, additional Parmanesen cheese, tomatoes or even chicken if desired
- Serve immediately