Apple Pie filling is so easy to make at home! Grab this easy recipe and use this apple pie topping on ice cream, yogurt..and in pie! While this post is sponsored by Envy Apples, all opinions are my own.
Easy Homemade Apple Pie Filling
I made homemade apple pie filling for my mini snickerdoodle apple pies and I realized that the apple pie filling is so good that it deserved a post all on it’s own 🙂 Think ice cream topping, yogurt topping, mixed with granola…or just on a spoon! Skip the canned store bought apple pie filling and make your own at home in about 15 minutes!
This homemade apple pie filling is very easy to make, I would say that the hardest part is peeling and coring the apples! You need about 6 ingredients to these apple deliciousness as well, and I would bet you have most of them in your pantry right now. So, go ahead and grab them, because this apple pie filling tastes sooooo much better than store bought!
I used Envy Apples in my recipe because they are quite possibly the most delicious apple I have ever tasted. You can find Envy Apples at Publix, your other favorite retailers, and online.
Here’s how to make homemade apple pie filling, be sure to Print and Pin this recipe, so you can make it again and again.
Easy Homemade Apple Pie Filling | Cinnamon Apple Topping
- 4 medium size apples - I used Envy Apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Peel, core and slice apples. Once the apples are sliced, cut the slices in half.
- Melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat.
- Add in apples, sugar and the 3 tablespoons water.
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes.
- In a small dish combine cornstarch and water.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan while stirring and continue to cook until apples are soft and filling is thickened. Approximately 3 - 5 minutes.
- Let boil for an additional one minute.
- Let cool. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Enjoy on ice cream yogurt, by itself or in a pie crust!
I hope you enjoy this easy homemade apple filling as much as we do! Be sure to try it on ice cream!
Be sure to look for Envy apples at your local grocer to make your own homemade apple pie filling. And if you want to try making some more pie fillings, I love this easy homemade peach pie filling.