This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
This BBQ Chicken Bubble Up Bake is the ultimate comfort food! Ready in less than an hour, it has everything you crave about comfort food! Biscuits, cheese, BBQ sauce oh my! While this post is sponsored by Florida Dairy Farmers, all opinions and my love of dairy are my own.
Best BBQ Chicken Bubble Up Bake
Who else loves biscuits? My kids actually get excited when they hear the pop of that container opening up. But there are only so many times we can have biscuits as a side to dinner or make biscuits and gravy before we are craving something a bit different. Something delicious, yet easy to make. Something that we all like. And something that can make that weeknight dinner easier. Something like this BBQ Chicken Bubble Up Bake.
This is actually the first time I have made a bubble up bake and I was excited and nervous all at the same time. There is a delicate balance between the sauce, the meat and making sure the biscuits brown up and don’t get soggy.
What is a Bubble Up Bake?
When you make a casserole with refrigerated biscuits, they bubble up when baked. Hence the name, Bubble Up Bake.
Most Bubble up casseroles I have seen are breakfast casseroles. So you have the addition of eggs for extra moisture. But I wanted a dinner bubble up bake. So I used a mixture of BBQ sauce and milk for that creamy sauce that would keep the chicken and biscuits from drying out.
The milk and BBQ sauce make the perfect sauce for this dinner casserole, BBQ sauce alone would be a bit too thick and you would run the risk of it caramelizing and leaving your whole dish dry. The milk makes it a little creamy and it even adds in some extra nutrients 🙂
I also added caramelized onions, well, because they are amazing. Now caramelizing onions does take a bit of time, but I have found that if I use my cast iron pan it actually speeds up the process. That may not happen for you, it may be that my pan is just magical when it comes to caramelizing onions, so in your case, make sure you allow yourself enough time to make sure those onions get nice and soft. Caramelized onions are a thing of beauty…and they will add amazing flavor to your casserole.
BBQ Chicken & Caramelized Onion Bubble Up Bake Key Ingredients
- Refrigerated Biscuits
- Sweet Onions
- Jalapeno – as you know, we like just about everything with a little heat.
- Milk – we use Florida Milk, of course.
- BBQ sauce – use your favorite! We used Baby Rays Sugar Free Sweet and Spicy
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- A little flour and olive oil
I had bought a family-size package of chicken breasts from the grocery store (it was over 4 lbs!) so I baked it all up and used it in various dishes throughout the week. Including this BBQ Chicken Casserole. I simply diced up 1.5 pounds of the chicken and used that. You could also use shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken if you prefer.
How did the apple get in there?
I love apples. And when fall comes around, I like to use them in just about everything. Apples don’t have to be used for just sweet dishes, they are an excellent addition to savory dishes as well! That little bit of sweetness and crunch added the perfect later of flavor and crunch to this BBQ Chicken Bubble Up Bake. Plus, think of this flavor combination….sweet, tangy, a little spicy…topped with cheese and biscuits. What more could you possibly ask for in one meal?!
This BBQ Chicken Bubble Up Bake screams comfort food and what’s more comforting than biscuits, cheese and a taste of fall?! So, toss on your favorite comfy sweater and cozy socks and enjoy this comfort food casserole!
Ok, are you all ready to get baking? Here is my BBQ Chicken Bubble Up Bake. Be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again. Because your family will be asking for it!
BBQ Chicken Bubble Up Bake
- Baking dish
- Large Skillet
- 1 package Grand Refrigerated Biscuits I used the honey butter flaky layers
- 2 medium sweet onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil I used extra virgin
- 1 jalapeno diced – seeds removed if desired
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce I used Sugar Free
- 1 ½ lbs cooked chicken diced
- 1 cup 2% Florida milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 apple diced I used a gala
- 1 tsp flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add onion slices.
- While onions are cooking, separate the biscuits and cut each one into 6 pieces.
- Once onions are nice and caramelized, add in the diced jalapeno.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stir well.
- Slowly pour in milk, stir well.
- Add in BBQ sauce, stir well.
- Add in diced chicken and diced apple, stir to coat.
- Carefully pour the BBQ chicken mixture into prepared baking dish. Stir again if needed.
- Top with biscuit pieces.
- Sprinkle on cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until top of biscuits are golden brown.