Make this Easy & Healthy Eggplant Parmesan Recipe for dinner tonight! This Eggplant Parmesan is delicious and the whole family will be asking for seconds.
Easy & Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
A few months ago I had the amazing opportunity to have dinner with Janice Mondavi of CK Mondavi and Family and we shared an eggplant appetizer. It was my first time having eggplant. Can you believe that? It was delicious. In fact, I even thought that my kids would enjoy it. As we chatted, Janice shared with me a eggplant recipe that she makes for her family regularly. At that moment I decided I would make eggplant for my family and see what they thought. Before I tackled Janice’s Eggplant Parmesan Rolls, I wanted to start with something a bit simpler.
So, I made a healthy version of Eggplant Parmesan. I call them Eggplant Crisps and the kids call them Eggplant Pizza. But, no matter how you slice it (or say it 😉 ) this recipe is a keeper. In fact, I have already made it several times. You can serve it with pasta or with just a simple salad, eggplant is actually a heartier vegetable, so you will find that you don’t need a lot of extras to serve with this.
For this Easy & Healthy Eggplant Parmesan Recipe, you only need a few ingredients and you may just have them in your house. You need eggplant, of course, bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese, sauce, shredded Parmesan cheese (or mozzarella if you prefer) and some fresh basil. Easy enough, right? Ok, then let’s get cooking!
Here is my Easy & Healthy Eggplant Parmesan Recipe. Be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
Easy & Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs with Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Pasta sauce - I used a spicy marinara
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese - or mozzarella if you prefer
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside, you may need two baking sheets.
- Break both eggs into a bowl and beat.
- In a separate bowl add the bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Peel the skin from the eggplant, I just used a potato peeler.
- Cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.
- Dip each eggplant slice into the egg and then into the bread crumb mixture, making sure to coat it well.
- Place the coated eggplant slice onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Continue to bread each eggplant slice until complete. Your hands will get messy.
- Place the baking sheets into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove the eggplant and flip the slices.
- Place the baking sheets back into the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove for the oven and top each slice with approximately one tablespoon of sauce and a pinch of the shredded cheese.
- Place the eggplant back into the oven for an additional 10 - 15 minutes to warm the sauce and melt the cheese.
- Remove from oven, top with fresh basil if desired.
I hope you enjoy this Easy & Healthy Eggplant Parmesan Recipe as much as we do!
As you can see, this recipe isn’t loaded with lots of cheese, so this is a healthier version of other Eggplant Parmesan recipes you may have seen before. And since they are topped with a little sauce and cheese, I kinda see why my kids think they are pizzas 🙂
What is your favorite way to cook eggplant? Have you made Eggplant Parmesan before?
Next on my list are those Eggplant Parmesan Rolls!
Looking for more delicious recipes?