This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
You will need simple ingredients and about 15 minutes of prep time to make this moist and delicious easy carrot cake. Enjoy it at breakfast or dessert, either way you slice it, it’s delish.
Easy Carrot Cake
Here is a quick and easy carrot cake recipe that you can have made for your guests (if you feel like sharing) in less than an hour. This easy carrot cake recipe tastes fantastic and costs little to make. This was actually the first time I have ever made carrot cake, so I promise you, if I can do, you can.
Carrot cakes are one of those cakes that can be eaten on any occasion at any time of the day. It can be left un-iced and sliced thickly for breakfast with a cup of coffee or topped with icing and carved into delicate wedges for a fun ‘High Tea’ get-together. Whatever the time of day or the occasion, a good carrot cake is one of life’s little joys.
To make this Quick and Easy Carrot Cake you need about 15 – 18 minutes of prep time and 35 minutes in the oven.
The ingredients in my carrot cake are very simple, in fact, you may have them right now. You will need butter, brown sugar, an egg, carrots, self-raising flour, milk, honey, cinnamon and allspice to make this easy carrot cake. For the icing (if you choose to ice it) you will only need a few simple ingredients; powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract and water. You actually may have all the ingredients right now. Go ahead, go look. Ready to get baking then? Let’s do it!
Now, here is my Easy Carrot Cake recipe, be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
Easy Carrot Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar brown is best however raw can be substituted
- 1 egg
- 2 small carrots finely shredded
- 1 ½ cups sifted Self-raising flour make sure the flour is fresh and not old as old flour could loose its rising agent
- ¼ cup whole milk at room temperature
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- small amount of water
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl
- Add finely shredded carrot and using the wooden spoon stir until all the ingredients are just blended
- Add the egg and mix in well
- Add honey
- Stir the sifted flour and spices into the mixture
- Add the room temperature milk and mix lightly
- Pour batter into a 9x9 baking pan
- Bake in a 350° for approximately 30-35
- Check to see that the carrot cake has been completely cooked by pressing down lightly on the top of the cake. The cake should spring back quickly and leave no sign of indentation. Another method is to insert a bamboo or metal skewer into the cake, the skewer when pulled out should have no sign of uncooked ingredients, and be free from any cake mixture.
- In a clean bowl, add 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2/3 cup of butter, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, with a very small (tiny) amount of water.
- Cream the ingredients together, until well combined and creamy. Using a mixer will definitely be easier than doing this by hand.
- Use a flat-edged knife to spread the icing over the cake (make sure that the cake is only slightly warm – this will ensure that the icing flows on smoothly). If the cake is too hot, the icing could run; if the cake is too cold, the icing will be hard to put on.
- Top with chopped walnuts if desired.