This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
Soup is one of the ultimate Fall comfort foods, and this Spicy Butternut Squash Soup will definitely warm you up. This easy soup recipe is healthy, delicious and the whole family will love it.
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
I have a delicious soup recipe for you guys today. If you follow my blog, you probably know by now that I like a bit of a “kick” to most of my dishes…Spicy is fun 🙂 Hence why I thought we would all enjoy this Spicy Butternut Squash Recipe!
I will confess that I have never made any kind of soup before that required me to puree the vegetables,and I was a bit nervous. But it was much easier than I thought!
There isn’t a ton of ingredients in this one, and prep time is about 20 minutes. What took me the longest was peeling the squash 😉 You will notice that I used skim milk and cream cheese instead of the heavy cream that you sometimes see in this soup…I like to keep my recipes as healthy as possible!
If you don’t want to add the dairy, you can add in a can of refried beans. It will help thicken up the soup and keep the calorie count down as well as make it dairy-free. I do this on a regular basis actually…it makes the soup a Weight Watchers friendly recipe – ZERO points!
Make sure you have a nice big pot that will accommodate all that Butternut Squash! I use a dutch oven most of the time. I do love making soups, there’s this combination of physical warmth, flavors, aromas, and the emotional aspects of food that contribute to the overall comfort associated with soup.
Once you have the onions and garlic cooking, you add in the squash and that hot pepper and you are well on your way to a delicious, LOW-FAT, soup!
Did you know that butternut squash is a good source of essential nutrients? It’s loaded with vitamins A, C, and E, as well as B-vitamins like B6, niacin, thiamine, and folate. Butternut squash also provides minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and manganese.
Ready for my spicy butternut squash soup recipe? Of course you are!
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 lbs Butternut squash
- 1 finely diced habanaro pepper jalapeno would be fine as well- REMOVE THE SEEDS
- ½ medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 oz low fat cream cheese
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds
- Peel the squash
- Cut into 1 inch cubes
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot
- Add onion and garlic and saute, stirring often, until they begin to brown
- Add the cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper – stir so they are mixed in well
- Add squash, habanero pepper, and chicken stock
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and cover. Let it simmer for 15- 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender
- Remove from the heat and puree the vegetable mixture using a blender or food processor Puree until smooth.
- While you are pureeing the vegetables, add the cream cheese to the warm pot to soften it
- Add the pureed mixture back into your pot
- Add in the milk
- Stir well
- Serve warm
I hope your family likes this Spicy Butternut Squash Recipe as much as well did!
Beyond its health benefits, butternut squash is a versatile and tasty ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, from soups and stews to roasted sides and purees. What is your favorite way to cook butternut squash?
Looking for more soup recipes? Check out this Low-Fat Easy Potato Soup Recipe.