This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
Magpies are one of my favorite meals while camping. You may call them HOBO pies, but whatever you call them, they are delicious! Enjoy these pizza magpies!
Pizza Magpies Recipe – AKA HOBO Pies
I love camping. I think it’s an amazing experience for quality family time. Without TVs, phones, etc. Not like I don’t have mine with me…but it’s just different 🙂 Each year my family and I head up north….WAY up north for us as we live in Florida and enjoy Lake Leelanau, MI. We eat great while camping…turkey, ham, steaks, etc…but one of our favorite meals is always Magpies. I know some folks call them HOBO pies, but my family has always called them Magpies.
One of the most traditional Magpies is the pizza magpie. Now, these can be filled with just about anything you can think of, but the recipe I have below is just for good ole’ pepperoni and cheese…well, and I added in some pepperoncinis 🙂
- Stick of butter
- Pizza Sauce
- Shredded Cheese
- *Any additional toppings that you would usually love on your pizza!
- Heat the magpie maker in the fire
- Take a stick of butter rub onto the edges and the center of the maker (this will prevent the bread from sticking)
- Place a piece of bread on either side of the maker
- Fill ONE side of the maker/bread with all your toppings – I recommend starting with the sauce, then cheese, pepperoni, then a little bit more of cheese and sauce
- Put the other piece of bread on top of the filled side when you are done
- Place the other side of the maker on the top and securely close your maker
- Pull off the extra bread that is hanging over the side if you are using a circle maker (I personally prefer the circle makers)
- Cook over the fire – I personally recommend not cooking directly over a flame. This will prevent burns and lead to a slower and more even cook.
- Check it every few minutes
- Take out when both sides of the bread are a golden brown
- Take your first bite with caution – just in case it’s super hot!
As I mentioned in the Pizza Magpies recipe, I prefer the circle makers, I just think that they seal better. Need some makers? You can find them on Amazon. I definitely recommend the wood handles!
There’s my dad enjoying his pizza magpie and my mom and daughter taking selfies 🙂 I love camping! Anyone else??
What are some of your favorite recipes for when you are camping? Does your family like mappies too?
Be sure to check out one of my other favorite magpie recipes.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Magpies
Find Food Wine Sunshine on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google + and check out all my delicious recipes.