This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
Make this Easy Potatoes au Gratin for your next holiday gathering, or on any day! With just 5 ingredients, this easy recipe is the perfect side dish. This post is sponsored by Real California Milk but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Easy Potatoes au Gratin – Just 5 Ingredients
Confession. This is the first time I have ever made homemade potatoes au gratin. WAY back when my husband and I first got married I made him the boxed version a few times, but they were never really that fantastic, so I stopped making them. The slicing of the potatoes and making the sauce and getting the cheese just right was always intimidating to me for some reason. So, I never made it. Until today. With the holidays coming and potatoes are always on the table, I figured it was the perfect time to perfect this cheesy, creamy side dish.
And thanks to Real California Milk products that I picked up at Publix, my Potatoes au Gratin were actually really easy to make and absolutely delicious. In fact, there are only 5 ingredients in my easy potatoes au gratin recipe – making it a must have on your holiday menus. Even your everyday menu 😉
Why use products made with Real California Milk? Because when you buy products with the seal you’re getting real food from real people, kissed by the California sun.
The Real California Milk seal means the product is made with 100 percent milk from California’s 1,300 dairy farm families (California dairies are 99% family owned and operated). I love being able to support dairy families by simply buying the products my family loves.
Be sure to look for the Real California Milk Seal on the products in this recipe and on other dairy products that you love while you are at the store.
Find Real California Milk products near you
Now, here is my Easy Potatoes au Gratin Recipe. Be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
Easy Potatoes au Gratin
- 15 oz Crema Mexicana made with Real California Milk
- 6 oz Queso Fresco made with Real California Milk
- 1 small can diced mild chiles
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion - diced
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes sliced thin - I used a mandoline - I left the skins on you can peel them though if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 pan or casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place half of the potatoes in the greased pan.
- Cover them with half of the green chiles and onions and half of the crema mexicana.
- Place the remaining potatoes in the pan.
- Top with the rest of the onions and green chiles and then pour on the remaining sauce.
- Cover the pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and sprinkle queso fresco over the top
- Bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the top of the potatoes are lightly browned, the cheese is melted and the potatoes are tender.
- Serve warm.
I hope you enjoy this deliciously creamy, cheesy and easy Potatoes au Gratin recipe as much as we do!
The Crema Mexicana gave this dish a delicate and buttery fresh milk flavor and the Queso Fresco has a mild, fresh taste making it the perfect topper on this easy potato side dish.
I did add green chiles to my recipe, you can leave them out if you would like but we enjoyed the extra bit of flavor they added.
What is one of your go-to side dishes during the holidays? Have you made homemade potatoes au gratin before?
Be sure to follow Food Wine Sunshine on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google + and Instagram for more tips, fabulous recipes and more!