This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
This Homemade Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup will definitely warm you up. This soup recipe is a comforting meal that is easy to make and is full of flavor. While this post is sponsored by Florida Dairy Farmers, all opinions and the recipe are my own.
Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
There is nothing quite like a nice warm bowl of soup to help fight away the winter chills. I may live in Florida, but we get still cold! In fact, today it’s in the 60s and just about everyone I see is in jackets and sweatshirts. Including me 😉 So a nice warm bowl of soup is exactly what sounded good to me.
Soup is not only a comfort food, but it warms you from the inside out, making you just feel better overall.
With the holidays quickly approaching, I am guessing that just about everyone will have some leftover turkey that they would like to use in a delicious and creative recipe. Well, this creamy turkey and wild rice soup is it. It is ready in less than an hour, making this homemade soup recipe an option for an easy weeknight meal too.
You need minimal ingredients to make this easy turkey and wild rice soup rice, actually you may have many of them in your pantry and refrigerator. In fact, you may be able to use some other leftovers from that big turkey dinner.
You will need chicken broth, water, long grain rice, vegetables, salt, pepper, flour and milk. The milk is what will make this easy soup recipe deliciously creamy. I used skim milk, but you can feel free to use what you have in the refrigerator.
I used leftover turkey, and the flavor was perfect, but if you have leftover chicken or ham, go ahead and try it! Just make sure to come back and let me know what you thought. I am thinking they would both be a tasty variation.
This Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice soup quickly became a favorite in my house, dare I say that it reminds me of the creamy chicken and wild rice soup at Panera. Yes, I do dare 😉 In fact, my husband told me it was better! Talk about a compliment.
Hungry yet? Good.
Here is my comforting Turkey and Wild Rice Soup recipe. Be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ¾ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- 2 cups diced/shredded turkey - leftovers work perfectly
- 1 box quick cook long grain wild rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk - I used skim
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 7 tbsp butter
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in 1 tbsp of butter.
- Once the onions start to get translucent add in the carrots, celery and mushrooms.
- While the vegetables are cooking, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour.
- Stir in contents of rice seasoning packet into the saucepan with the melted butter (NOT the rice).
- Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by adding 1- 2 tablespoons at a time, to form a roux.
- Whisk in milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until warm, 5 minutes.
- Pour the broth, water and turkey into the larger pot with the vegetables. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice.
- Stir the milk mixture into broth and vegetables. Cook over medium heat until heated through and the rice and vegetables are tender.
I hope you enjoy this Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup as much as we do!
Looking for a way to make this soup over-the-top? Serve it up in a bread bowl with the Hallmark Channel on. Talk about the ultimate cozy night in. Speaking of the Hallmark Channel, am I the only one out there that watches Christmas movies the moment they come on? I swear, I am addicted, and I don’t care how many reruns I have seen!
Have you made soup from scratch before? What is your favorite soup recipe?
Looking for a delicious cocktail recipe to keep you warm this season as well? This Creamy Butterscotch Martini may be served cold, but it is guaranteed to still warm ya up.
Be sure to check out Florida Milk for more dairy-licious recipes and follow on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
And while you are at it, check out all the delicious recipes on Food Wine Sunshine and follow on me Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more FOOD WINE AND SUNSHINE.