This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
These easy Christmas Sugar Cookies are a must have in our family every year. In just 20 minutes you will have 30 delicious sugar cookies. Nothing quite says the holidays like holiday baking.
Easy Christmas Sugar Cookies
Holiday baking time is here. Do you bake a bunch of Christmas cookies? For years now we make dozens of cookies, package them up and deliver them to friends and family in the neighborhood. Delivering Christmas cookies to friends is just one way for us to deliver a bit of holiday cheer. Christmas Sugar Cookies are my kids’ favorite Christmas cookies to make because they love to decorate them. Or maybe they just like licking the icing spoons…either way I love that they both get involved in the holiday baking process.
Christmas Sugar Cookies are a Christmas cookie must have. There’s just something nostalgic about the fun Christmas cookie cutters and shapes. I mean, what says Christmas more than a decorate Christmas tree and stocking cookie?!
To make my Christmas Sugar cookies you just need some simple pantry ingredients plus two eggs, some butter and some buttermilk.
Prep time to make these holiday sugar cookies is about 10 minutes if you are focused, if the kids are helping, throw that timer out the window and let them have fun.
The cook time for my easy sugar cookies is 10-12 minutes. But make sure they are cooled before you start decorating. You don’t want the icing to melt.
This easy Sugar Cookie recipe makes about 30 cookies, feel free to make additional batches so you have extra.
Now, here is my Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe. Be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make this holiday season and next!
Christmas Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 4½ – 5½ cups all-purpose flour
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Prepare 2 baking sheets and set aside
- With a mixer cream together sugar and butter for 3 minutes or until fluffy
- Add eggs and mix again
- Add salt, and baking powder then blend
- Blend in ¼ cup buttermilk, vanilla and almond extract
- Add ½ cup of flour at a time until all 2 ½ cups of flour have been added
- Add remaining ¼ cup buttermilk and mix
- Then add the remaining 2 cups of flour. The batter should be smooth, elastic-like and slightly sticky. If too sticky, add more flour a little at a time (up to 1 cup – be careful to not put TOO much flour in the dough)
- When ready to roll out, sprinkle the surface with powdered sugar
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough to ¼ in thickness
- Using cookie cutters, cut out your favorite shapes and transfer to prepared cookie sheet
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the edges just start to get a hint of golden brown, making sure to not overcook
- Allow cookies to cool completely then frost as desired
- Enjoy and be sure to share with others!
I hope you and your family enjoy these Christmas Sugar Cookies as much as we do!
You can use store bought icing to decorate your sugar cookies or make your own. Making your own icing is incredible simply, you just need powdered sugar and milk. Yep, that’s it.
To make your own Sugar Cookie Icing:
Mix 1 cup of powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons of milk. Adjust milk as needed. Add food coloring if desired.
Told you it was easy!