This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
The Valspar Championship is coming back to Innisbrook for 2017! There will be lots of golf, food, and fun for the whole family. While I will receive passes to attend the event for free, all opinions are my own.
Valspar Championship 2017
Valspar Championship is right coming! The PGA TOUR’s second decade as a spring stop in Tampa Bay begins on March 6-12 as Charl Schwartzel defends his title in the Valspar Championship presented by BB&T. Whether you are a golfer or not, there are so many events going on at the Valspar Championship everyone in the family will have a great day. In fact, kids under 15 are FREE, so be sure to bring the whole family!
Last March, Schwartzel defeated Bill Haas in the tournament’s third playoff in the last five years. In 2015, Jordan Spieth won a three-hole extra session with Patrick Reed and Sean O’Hair and ended the year as the number one-ranked player in the Official World Golf Ranking. In 2012, Luke Donald moved to the top spot in OWGR when he won a four-man playoff with Jim Furyk, Robert Garrigus and Sang Moon Bae.
Away from the competition, there are some new and interesting activities, including the first Food Truck Rally near the 8th green. Some of the Tampa Bay area’s top food truck alternatives will be serving customers on all four days of the tournament. The Food Truck Rally joins Frenchy’s, the Michelob ULTRA 19th Hole and another new option, the Earl of Sandwich, as premium food stops in addition to the traditional concession options. The Hooters Owl’s Nest is a popular premium ticket location at the 12th green. Also new in 2017 is Grape & Grain, a wine and spirits emporium near the 10th tee.
Further highlighting the culinary excitement will be the appearances of celebrity chef Ming Tsai at 1 p.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. on Saturday. Tsai, a James Beard and Emmy award winning chef, author, TV/new media host and producer, product developer, food allergy advocate and East-West lifestyle expert will be meeting fans and conducting a cooking demonstration.
Valspar LIVE!, the tournament’s free concert, returns for a third year and in 2017 it is back on Saturday evening. Superstar singer-songwriter, Toby Keith, will perform on the Osprey Driving Range adjacent to the Copperhead Course, following on the heels of The Band Perry (2015) and Rascal Flatts (2016) as feature acts for tournament patrons.
The tournament is operated by a not-for-profit organization, Copperhead Charities, Inc., a volunteer group of Tampa Bay area community leaders known as the Copperheads. The members have the dual ambition of raising money for charity and providing golf fans with the best in PGA TOUR competition. The organization’s history of success is shown by more than $36 million raised for charities since 1977.
Things You Need To Know about Valspar Championship 2017
Due to the explosive growth of the Valspar Championship, the tournament, like many other PGA TOUR events, must require all parking to be purchased in advance. Fans have three reasonably priced parking options – Green (power lines adjacent to course), Red (St. Petersburg College) and Silver (Carwise Middle School). Parking is easily purchased online here.
Tickets purchased in advance are: $39 per specific day; $49 good any one day (Thursday-Sunday) and $125 for a weekly badge. Kids 15 and under are FREE all week when accompanied by a ticketed adult. Active duty and retired military receive complimentary admission. Wednesday tickets are $10. Ticket information may be found on the tournament website.
Watch LIVE golf on your mobile device here.
2017 Schedule of Events
Sunday, March 5
- HSN Cares Par4Miler to benefit Moffitt Cancer Center (4pm) – learn more HERE
Monday, March 6
- Private Event in support of the International Institute of Orthotics and Prosthetics – Course closed to the public.
Tuesday, March 7
- Professional Practice Rounds – Gates open at 8:00am – Admission is FREE
Wednesday, March 8
- Championship Pro-Am; – Gates open at 6:00am
Thursday, March 9
- 1st Round Valspar Championship presented by BB&T – Gates open at 6:00am
Friday, March 10
- 2nd Round Valspar Championship presented by BB&T – Gates open at 6:00am (Golf Channel from 3pm – 6pm)
- Celebrity Chef Ming Tsai Cooking Demonstration and Meet & Greet at 1pm
Saturday, March 11
- 3rd Round Valspar Championship presented by BB&T – Gates open at 7:00am; – (Golf Channel from 1pm – 3pm, NBC from 3pm – 6pm)
- Celebrity Chef Ming Tsai Cooking Demonstration and Meet & Greet at 10am
- Valspar® LIVE! Concert featuring Toby Keith 6:30pm
- Moooving Day presented by Chick-Fil-A
Sunday, March 12
- Final Round Valspar Championship presented by BB&T – Gates open at 7:00am; (Golf Channel from 1pm – 3pm, NBC from 3pm – 6pm) presented TeeOff.com by PGATOUR
Championship Rounds (Thursday – Sunday) – Fun For The Whole Family
- The Valspar Food Truck Rally (8th green)
- The McDonald’s Family Fun Zone presented by Publix (8th and 9th holes)
- Michelob ULTRA 19th Hole (18th green)
- Frenchy’s Pool Party (behind 18th green)
- Fan Expo Area (behind 18th green)
- Tampa General Hospital Interactive Health Screenings
- Pinch A Penny Birdies for the Brave Patriots’ Outpost (16th green)
- Grape & Grain(9th Green)
- Valspar Chameleon Cove(3rd Green)
Monday, March 13
- Monday After Challenge (play the course the pros play)
To stay up to date with the Valspar Championship, be sure to follow along on Facebook and Twitter.
Make sure to visit Food Wine Sunshine for more Florida Family Fun and stay up to date with me Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google + and Instagram.
7 thoughts on “Valspar Championship 2017”
This sounds like a lot of fun! I know you will enjoy it!
Wow, I had no idea so much happened. Sounds like a great time with the added food and concerts!
The food trucks are new this year and I can’t wait to visit them myself – yum!
This would be so fun to attend and watch!
Yes, it sure is! So watch to see and do 🙂
Sounds like such a fun event to attend!! Have a great time!
Whoa my guys would love to go see this, some great events there!